Saturday, October 8, 2011

Adversity

Adversities... We all have them.  We all face them.  We watch helplessly as loved ones struggle through them.  Some are small, some overpowering.  Some are very public, visible, and noticeable.  Some are very private, personal, unseen and unknown by others.




I often wish I didn't have to face adversity.  More often I wish those that I love didn't have to face adversity.  As a wife and mother it breaks my heart to watch my husband and children struggle through some pretty difficult things. 

I'm a fixer. I always want to fix the things that are broken, or causing my loved ones pain. It is very difficult for me to acknowledge that there are many, many things that I cannot fix. However, I know that, through our faith, our Father in Heaven and our Savior, Jesus Christ can fix all things.

During the last General Conference for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Elder Richard G. Scott shared an amazing message called, The Power of Scripture.  While listening to his message I was reminded that I need to turn more to my Father in Heaven when things are tough.  I was reminded that I need to search the scriptures for the answers I seek and the comfort I need.  Elder Scott said;
"Scriptures are like packets of light that illuminate our minds and give place to guidance and inspiration from on high... Scriptures can calm an agitated soul, giving peace, hope, and a restoration of confidence in one’s ability to overcome the challenges of life. They have potent power to heal emotional challenges when there is faith in the Savior."
While I have watched the deep and difficult struggles of my beloved husband, I have often asked, "Lord, where is thy hiding place?"  As I turned to the scriptures for answers the following passage penetrated my heart and calmed my agitated soul. 
"Believe in God; believe that he is, and that he created all things, both in heaven and in earth; believe that he has all wisdom, and all power, both in heaven and in earth; believe that man doth not comprehend all the things which the Lord can comprehend."  Mosiah 4:9
I know that the Lord loves us and that He knows all things and that my knowledge is limited.  I know that Jesus Christ overcame all.

Adversity is necessary for our growth and with the Lord's help we can overcome.

Thomas Paine once said, “The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly;”

No comments: