Thursday, June 30, 2011

One of those days...

My two oldest children, Alexa and Zachary, are with a youth group from our church.  They are reenacting some of the Mormon Pioneer Trek.

Here are a few of them aren't they cute.  Zachary is 2nd from the right (hiding mind you he didn't want to wear the hat).  Alexa is 4th from the right.
I will post more pictures when they get home.  I sure hope they have fun.  I also hope they have tons of pictures because Zachary took my camera so I have been without it all week.

I spent an hour in the pool with the little kids, CJ and Isabel yesterday.  I wish I had been able to take pictures and video.  We were having so much fun. 

I also don't have pictures to go along with my Stephie Story for today.

As you may or may not know for the last 6 years I have worked as a Quality Control Inspector in nuclear plants.  It's a good gig and I meet a ton of great people.  One thing we hear a lot in my line of work is that the jobs we have done repeatedly are typically the ones that will get us in trouble.  This happens because of complacency.  We have done it before so we are confident we know what we are doing and we aren't always as careful as we should be.  Difficult or unfamiliar jobs brings on a bit of caution. 

Guess what!!!!!!!!!!!!  They are right! 

I have a cute little scribbles basket quilt that I bought a while back and started but never finished.  I thought I would spend the day working on it.  It's simple really, I already made all the half square triangles squares (HSTS) I just had to add some strips and squares and line them up properly.  It's the simple really part that got me in trouble. 

I thought I had it all figured out and made a block.  No problem.  Then I made a mistake. 

I messed up a block.  I mean messed it up on like the first two squares, I put the HSTS backwards, but didn't noticed until I got the block finished.  Heck - I didn't even find it then.  The big problem is that I was stacking the blocks on top of each other as I finished.  (The blocks are all the same block but different color options.)  I stopped going by the pattern and using the blocks I had finished so I kept making the same mistake over and over.  When I finally realized they were wrong (I was obviously not paying attention.  After all... I've done this before and I know what I am doing.) I had made four blocks all of them wrong in the same way. 

I had to unstich all of the blocks and start over.  So now I am covered in bits and pieces of thread, annoyed and I only got 6 blocks finished. 

Oh well, lesson learned... at least I hope it is.  :)

No comments: