Saturday, July 2, 2011

Brisinger



I finished my oldest son, Zachary's quilt.  I was thinking of naming it "Spinning Dragon" or "Flaming Dragon".  My long arm quilter, Jennifer Bernard at Heart's Desire Quilting, thought I should call it "Dragon's Breath"  None of those worked for Zachary.



Let me back up and tell you a little bit about my son. He is amazing. He is super smart and loves to read. he reads constantly at least when he isn't playing video games. Zachary is 14 and has long since hit the stage where he refuses to hug him mommy and has completely forgotten how cool he once thought I was. He has a very quick sense of humor and asks a million questions everyday. He has always asked tons of questions. He used to ask me for the questions, now he asks some guy named "Google". :)

Zachary loves mythology especially anything about dragons.  About two years ago we found this dragon fabric and he loved it.  He asked me if I would make it into a quilt for him.  So I bought 6 yards and told him he had to help me pick out a pattern and I would make it for him.


He started going through all of my quilt books and almost instantly fell in love with the bear paw.  Only problem... the dragons in the fabric he chose are 8 in and I couldn't figure out how to make a bear claw work with the fabric.  Finally we found an old 1930's quilt that had 16 in squares on point.



The pattern actually used a solid white fabric in the "plain" squares with very intricate quilting and red and white pinwheels.  He really liked it and was excited that the dragon fabric would be seen.  His only concern... that it wouldn't be enough red, his favorite color.  Needless to say, it has enough red.

OK, back to naming the quilt.  One of Zachary's favorite book is Eragon.  Actually, it's a series of books, called The Inheritance Series, by Christopher Paolini, and he loves them.  There are currently three with the fourth coming in November.  He has read them multiple times. 

By Christopher Paolini: Eragon (Inheritance, Book 1)  Inheritance 3-Book Hardcover Boxed Set (Eragon, Eldest, Brisingr)

The stories are all about the Dragon riders.  Brisinger is the ancient name of Fire and when a dragon rider uses the ancient name they can make fire.  Brisinger is also the name of the third book.  Zachary wanted to name his quilt "Brisinger." 

So "Brisinger" it is!




Back of "Brisinger"  I used the rest of the dragon fabric and bordered it with black, it could almost be reversible.


Close up of Jennifer's great quilting.

I knew I hit the jackpot with this one when I got Zachary's response to the finished quilt.  "Oh mom, it's so beautiful."  Then he hugged me.




I love you Zachary.

No comments: