Thursday, September 15, 2011

And the hits just keep on comin'

Well apparently we haven't spent enough time in hospitals of late.  So, I get to spend hours, and hours, and hours at them for the next 2 - 6 weeks.

Several months ago CJ had what appeared to be an infected hang nail.  We treated it with ointment and bandaids until the finger became so sore that he refused to use it and cried if I touched it.  So we went to the doctor.

His doctor cut the finger open in an attempt to drain the infection.  Unfortunately, it didn't drain.  I'm serious.  It bled but not very much and very little drainage, if any came from the finger.  This concerned the doctor so she took a few swabs from the incision she had made.  She started him on some antibiotics.  Two weeks later the finger now looks like a shrivelled yet strangely swollen red grape.  The finger nail is completely deformed.  The test result were also back.  He has a MRSA infection. 

Apparently MRSA comes from staph and is very, very resistant to antibiotics.  So, our doctor started us on a super strong anti-biotic.  It didn't work.  And not only did it not work but CJ has had one of the rare side effects to the drug.  (What is the deal with this family and rare side effects, like Craig having a horrific side effect to the treatments he was on that only happens to 3 - 5% of the patients who have this treatment.)  He has developed some kind of tendinitis in his Achilles tendons, which could lead to a rupture.

So we are now left with the only choice of having intravenous antibiotic treatments.  They are now afraid that the infection is in the bone.  So, CJ will have a bone scan done on Friday morning.  If the infection is not in the bone we will have to go to the hospital for about 2 hours twice a day, 6 am and 6 pm, for the next 2 weeks.  If the bone scan is positive we will have to go for 6 weeks.  So let's pray it isn't in the bone.

I'm thinking now might be the time to finish that crochet project.  What else am I going to do at the hospital day after day after day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My sweet daughter how I love you. I hope you have your scriptures in that bag that you take each day to the hospital. You will find much strangth in there pages. You are a wonder!! and have been blessed with much strangth. You have sweet angels with you. Take time to feel thier armes around you. We all love so much. Tho this jurney you are on is a diffucult one I have faith you will bare it well. I am so greatful that you love your Savior, he knows your heart and he is going to to help you and your family. I love you my sweet daughter and I wish I could be there with you. You are always in my prayers. MOM Helaman 5:12